while the Australian Open is again tinged with red, white and blue | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LAM Dec 6 '17
HOMESTEAD, Fla. Discount Under Armour . -- NASCAR chairman Brian France refused Sunday to discuss his political support of President-elect Donald Trump and quickly pivoted the conversation toward his own efforts at improving diversity in his sport.France addressed the media hours before Sundays title-deciding season finale, and a day after Mexican Daniel Suarez became the first foreign-born driver to win a NASCAR national title. Earlier in the 17-minute news conference, France declared that Suarez would never have been in position to win the Xfinity Series championship if not for Frances diversity efforts.Without the Drive for Diversity program, with certainty, Daniel Suarez is not in NASCAR, France said.When the topic turned to Trump, France quickly shut down the questioning.France was an early supporter of Trump and took several drivers to a rally in Georgia earlier this year. France also appeared as a Trump supporter at a town hall meeting during the campaign.Its been Trumps stance on immigration, specifically with Mexico, that has appeared to be in conflict with Frances efforts. France has pushed for increased diversity, and was outspoken on his desire to remove the Confederate flag from NASCAR events.Asked Sunday about Suarezs championship in comparison to his support of Trump, France cut off the question from NBCSports.com.Ill stop you right there, he said. First of all, nobody wants to hear my political views. Not one person on this stage wants to hear from me politically. So I wont be talking about that.But on my diversity, nobody, nobody in this company, has worked harder, done more and resourced it better than me. I founded the Diversity Council. I fought for every single thing that makes sense, because thats my core belief about diversity. Its very, very important. I talk about it frequently, and my efforts there should never be challenged, no matter what my political views might be. Thats a ridiculous thing to do.France was prickly about several other topics and sweating profusely under the lights of the Homestead-Miami Speedway dais.He argued that the sport is healthy, even though Sprint is ending its 13-year association as title sponsor after Sundays race. NASCAR has had nearly two years to replace Sprint, but no sponsor has been named. In recent days, Monster Energy has emerged as a possible front-runner for the title rights.Its taken a little longer than I thought, but its also a big agreement and an important agreement, France said. Its not just dollars and cents, but its a fit for us. We dont want to announce anything certainly around this weekend. Were in a good spot with that, I believe, but well have to see how it finally plays out.France also downplayed the decline in television ratings -- eight Chase races have been down double-digits this season -- but France doesnt think the elimination-style playoff format is to blame. He noted ratings declines in all major sports and that consumption has shifted. For example, France said, he watched a Duke basketball game in a highlight package on his laptop rather than watch the game live on television.While some fans have pointed to the Chase for the championship system as a reason they no longer watch races, France believes the format now used in all three national series is best for the sport.Were very pleased with the formats. Wouldnt change a thing, he said. Go back a year ago for the Xfinity Series ... you had the winner and the champion and a couple others talk about all they needed to do was finish the race. `If I ran 30th, Ill be OK. Well, thats not really great for great competition.Speed it up to this year, you had all four thinking theyve got to win the race. Thats a big deal for auto racing. Were bold enough to do that. Under Armour Outlet . As he recorded his 23rd and 24th points of the evening, a segment of the sellout Air Canada Centre crowd expressed their appreciation for the Raptors point guard with a smattering of MVP chants. Cheap Under Armour Shoes .875,000, avoiding arbitration. Clippards deal Monday means all eight Nationals players who filed for arbitration wound up settling before a hearing. http://www.prsucenter.com/ .Y. - New York City has been selected to host the NBA All-Star weekend in 2015, with the game played at Madison Square Garden and the slam dunk contest and other skills events held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Jordan Spieth just loves life Down Under.The 23-year-old American and former Masters champion now boasts two Australian Open crowns and an increased horde of Aussie fans after he survived a playoff at Royal Sydney on Sunday.The world No.5 was confident that could he shoot three-under over the weekend it would be enough to claim a second Stonehaven Cup, and thats exactly what transpired as he went 68-69 and then called on the steely nerves that had already yielded 11 wins worldwide.Spieth first rolled in a knee-knocking par putt at the 72nd hole to enter the playoff, before a 10-foot birdie at the first extra hole fell right in the middle of the cup and little-known Australian Ashley Hall was unable to respond.I felt like I really played well, I felt like I played well this week, Spieth said as he sat alongside the trophy.I got off with the driver and 3-wood, and putting throughout the week wasnt tip-top shape; but my short game was there, the iron play was solid, so it certainly felt like I was playing well enough to be in contention, just wasnt sure about winning.And then we made the putts at the very end that mattered.After triumphing at The Lakes Golf Club two years ago, and falling just short in his title defence at The Australian in 2015, Spieth certainly knows how to get into a rhythm Down Under.And its a golfing beat Australians are happy to dance along with, too.While the locals would have loved to have seen Adam Scott make a final-round charge or overnight leader Geoff Ogilvy claim a second Australian Open, Spieths gallery was jammed for much of the week with only those prepared to head out early on Thursday morning getting a continual close-up of the American.They were standing 10-deep at some parts of Royal Sydney on Sunday and while he only held the outright lead early on the final day, the fans never strayed too far knowing that if things got tight down the stretch Spieth would be there to strike.We love coming here, certainly plan on it...its hard to tell, Spieth said when asked whether hed be back to chase a third Stonehaven Cup in 2017.But how can you argue with coming here and gaining the confidence that weve had out of this event. So I certainly plan to, but just dont know whats going to happen 12 months from now.Ive cut out aa lot of overseas travel this year but we still came here because thats how important this event is to us. Under Armour Online. And I havent gone anywhere else...so even if overseas travel is trimmed out we still like coming here and plan to [in 2017], its just I certainly cant say yes or no right this second.A brilliant long-range birdie putt on 16 drew Spieth level with Hall and Smith before he got up and down from off the green at 17 and 18, both with testing par putts, to get into the playoff.He then only needed one blow at the first extra hole to put the pressure on and the putting that has been the cornerstone of his rise to the top of world golf did the rest.With world No.1 Jason Day out injured, defending champion Matt Jones forced to remain in the States to chase his PGA Tour card and Jonny Vegas the only other international of note outside Spieth, it was far from a star-filled Australian Open field.But so personable is Spieth and so intense the Sunday drama that unfolded that the lack of class in the field barely rated a mention.A few more international names wouldnt hurt but away from Rickie Fowler - who will contest the World Cup of Golf in Melbourne next week - only the rusted-on golf fans would really recognise some of the other leading Americans or Europeans on the PGA and European Tours.And the Aussie fans already have their man anyway.Yeah, fantastic, Aussie fans are unique, Spieth said.Theyre a lot of fun to be around, they certainly love their own but have embraced us as one of their own and we love that. So I mean everybody just I think wanted a fantastic finish and fortunately it was.A few people wanted it to probably go back in Aussie hands; Matt Jones wasnt here to reclaim it this year, and were happy to take it in his absence.But just to speak to the fans, theyre very respectful, very knowledgeable but also kind of the right amount of rowdy.The locals will certainly hope Spieth is able to return for the fourth straight year in 2017 as while the Australian Open is again tinged with red, white and blue, they recognise there is more than just a hint of green and gold running through Spieths veins now too. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' ' 
Share: